Thursday 29 March 2012

What kind of institution might distribute your media product and why?

What kind of institution might distribute your media product and why?

I want a distributer that has a lot of experience with well known music magazines. I wanted to steer away from IPC, the distributor for NME because with a magazine so well known as NME i don’t feel like there would be a market for my magazine because it is very similar. I also feel that NME is for a younger age group of around 14-18 and i wanted my magazine to be distributed to my target audience which is up to the ages of 24.

Another distributor ‘Bauer Media this distributer distributes two very good magazines ‘Q’ and ‘Kerrang!’. These magazines are well known and popular within the music world. Q is especially well known for people over the age of 18 liking it and it not being a teenager’s music magazine like NME this is why I have not chosen Bauer Media because i don’t feel that there isn’t a market available for my magazine because it is pretty similar to the ones that they already publish. Bauer Media is also a good publisher because they have their own radio station, and have offices all over the world, this making it perfect for my magazine if I wanted to make a music magazine in a different country.

I have decided to go with the very popular magazine and newspaper distributor ‘Gold Key Media’ they publish magazines and newspapers like Marie Claire, Men’s Health, The Daily Telegraph none of which are music magazines, they are so well known in the distributing world that it would be easy for my magazine to get out there and get sold. The fact that there isn’t another music magazine in their long list of newspapers and magazines is good because my magazine will not have to fight in competition for the sales of an indie magazine.

I think that Gold Key Media would like my magazine because it has an edge to it, it is like other indie magazines but it is not exactly the same. The colours I have used are eye-catching and have made it look professional enough to fit in with Gold Key Medias other products on the shelf. The interview is interesting and appropriate for young readers. They have connections and publish in other countries like Ireland and Germany, allowing me to distribute my magazine in those countries and therefore making more money for the company and myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment